Wednesday 12 August 2015

Part 1: Miracle's story


Miracle was born on Friday July, 31, 2015 at around 10 pm. I will never forget that night, nor the day. For the last two weeks I had been going non stop. First on a family vacation, and then to work at a camp. By that particular Friday, I was ready to crash! Unfortunately, I had to head off to another camp that day; so I was hoping to catch a few minuets of sleep before I left. To make things short, that never happened. A little duckling stole that sleep, and many sleeps afterwards! You see, while I was at the other camp, my other duck, Peeper, had three of her eggs hatch! Three out of seven. It was  a little sad, but not much more was to be expected. Apparently her breed of duck wasn't even able to brood their own batch. Hatching three was an accomplishment!

Anyhow, when I got home I was pretty excited to go see them. After all, this duckling business had been my summer project. My nap could wait a few minuets. I ran out to the duck pen, and to my delight I saw three little ducklings, the size of my palm, chasing after their mommy. In all the excitement I wondered what had happened to the other four. I went over to the nest, and sighed sadly. Unfortunately, two of them had been crushed, one was lost, and one hadn't hatched yet. I looked at the unhatched one curiously.

" How long has this egg been sitting here?" I asked my sister.

" At least two, to three days," she replied, " The mother hasn't touched it since the others hatched."

I touched the egg carefully, but it was already cold. I sighed sadly. This was the reality of nature. "Only the strong survive." I picked up the egg carefully, and tried to decide what to do with it. I was thinking of putting it in the compost, when suddenly I heard the tiniest little peep coming from the egg. The duckling was alive!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment